Dr. Islam has been an active member of ASCE, SEI, ACI and AISC. In addition, he was a member of the following subcommittees of ASCE and ACI for 10 years since 2005:
- ASCE-SEI Performance-Based Design for Buildings Committee.
- ASCE-SEI Methods of Monitoring and Evaluating Structural Performance Committee.
- ASCE-SEI Bridge Management, Inspection and Rehabilitation Committee.
- ACI Committee 342, Evaluation of Concrete Bridge and Bridge Elements.
- Member (Assoc.), ACI Committee 343, Concrete Bridge Design (Joint ACI-ASCE).
- ACI Committee 544, Fiber Reinforced Concrete.
Dr. Islam, County Engineers, and a few local consulting companies organized the first Mahoning Valley Miniature Bridge Building Competitions among high school students in the Mahoning Valley during the Engineers’ Week in 2008. Later, high school students from Trumbull County also participated in this annual event. More than 100 students participate in this event annually from almost 20 high schools in the region. This event encouraged many high school students to choose YSU for engineering, especially Civil Engineering.
- Dr. Islam serves as the faculty adviser of the ASCE Student Chapter at YSU. Under his leadership and management, the chapter has been very successful in the regional and national concrete canoe and steel bridge building competitions.
- Dr. Islam has been the Department Chair of Civil/Environmental & Chemical Engineering since July 2014. Under his leadership, the Department has experienced significant growth over the last three years. Civil Engineering enrollment increased more than 25% over last year. Chemical Engineering enorllement has been increasing since Fall 2014 and more than doubled in Fall 2017. Each program has added one more faculty member to support this enrollment increase. Amount of external grants has more than doubled in the last couple of years since he took office. The University administration has been very supportive and appreciative of the Department’s activities and growth.
- Dr. Islam is very active in research and regularly reviews articles for publications in archival journals.